[mapguide-users] [MGOS 2.1]few map with Ecw, need restart mapguide service

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Tue Dec 29 00:59:52 EST 2009

Hi Haris,

Yes.  A significant portion of the Server connection management logic was rewritten for MGOS 2.1.  However, since Autodesk has no vested interest in the GDAL Provider (they didn't write it) it might make more sense to have someone from the community look at it.  I have dug around in that code before and I assume you have as well.

I would be concerned about making significant changes to the Server connection management logic.  Any significant change could impact stability with all other Fdo Providers.  Hopefully we are just looking at simple bug fixes or low impact changes.  It would be very time consuming to set up a test environment for all of the open source providers.  And personally I would not check in major code changes to a key area like this without some fairly serious testing, especially if we want to do it on the released 2.1 branch.

I also believe there are three areas where instability can creep in:  GDAL Provider code, Server code, and Server use cases against the GDAL Provider.  It might be wise to qualify the statement "basically completely thread safe" with "for specific use cases".  I am not sure that complete thread safety is a guarantee without 100% code coverage.  One liners can be a killer for multi-threaded apps.

In any case, the MapGuide Server code base and the GDAL code base have to be analysed together to see what the interaction behaviour is.  I guess we should move this discussion to the -internals list so the PSC and the developers can decide who should take a crack at the initial investigation, and whether any funding is available to support the investigation.

Thanks,
Trevor