[mapguide-users] How to create Layer and Datasource and link it to SQL 2008 Datasource in code

miansi AndreiSinelnikov at SierraSystems.com
Thu Feb 5 12:40:43 EST 2009

I want to create both.

I have SHP file and need to develop procedure which will load it into SQL
2008 table, create Datasource and Layer and update Map.

I am aware of generating XML files and actualy already doing that. The one
thing which is unclear for me just yet is "runtime map". As far as I
understand you not only have to generate XML and store it, but you also have
to update "runtime map", so your changes will be populated on the map
immediately.

What is the sequence of following steps? What you suppose to do in every
step (update xml, work with MGOS API)?
- Add Layer Definition to the Map
- Add Layer Resource t the Map

Can you please clarify for me sequence of procedures for the case when I
need to add layer from SQL 2008 View to the map.

1. Check if datasource exist.
1.1. If not - create it
1.1.1. Create XML and store it
2. Check if layer exist.
2.1. If not - create it.
2.1.1. Add Layer Definition?
2.1.2. Add Layer Resource?
2.1.3. Add Layer to the Group
2.1.4. Update runtime map?

Did I miss it in MGOS Developer's Guide?

Looks like I understand some bits and pieces here and there and all I need
to know is sequence of events for adding Datasource and layer from SQL 2008
to map.

Thank you for the links!