[mapguide-users] Fusion 2.0 domObj

Mark Pendergraft markp at Meadgilman.com
Thu Feb 19 13:36:40 EST 2009

I had caught on about some of the other changes, but that "if
(this.domObj)" statement in EditableScale.js threw me for a loop!
Yes, the input is appended to the toolbar now.  Thanks a bunch.

-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: mapguide-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:mapguide-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Paul
Spencer
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 10:10 AM
To: MapGuide Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [mapguide-users] Fusion 2.0 domObj

Ok, I'll try to highlight the major things for upgrading widgets ...

Things that have changed in Widget sub-classes:

* remove inheritance from Fusion.Tool.ButtonBase and add uiClass:
Jx.Button
* remove inheritance from Fusion.Tool.MenuBase and add uiClass: Jx.Menu
* add setUiObject method for widgets that need to add stuff to a menu
(see ViewOptions)
* change initialize to initializeWidget
* add isExclusive: true for widgets that are 'modal' on the map
* change execute method to activate

The key change that you need to understand, Mark, is the one about
setUiObject.  Due to an architectural change in how widgets are
constructed, widgets typically do not have a domObj any more.  What
they do have is a uiObj which is some representation of the widget in
the user interface.  For reasons that escape me right now, the uiObj
is not available when the widget is created so I added a setUiObject
method to handle the association of a uiObj with a widget.  The
particular uiObj that is created for any given widget is controlled by
its uiClass member (which is null by default).

When a new widget is created, if it has a uiClass set then the
framework creates a new instance of the uiClass and gives it to the
widget via the setUiObject.  If no uiClass is specified then element
from the dom with the id that causes the widget to be created is
passed (i.e. a reference to a <div>).

The base Widget class provides a default implementation of setUiObject
that does the grunt work of making buttons, menus etc work properly,
especially if the widget is considered modal on the map.  For widgets
that are not using a uiClass (which would be your case), you will need
to add a setUiObject method to your widget to handle inserting your ui
into what was previously the domObj.

I believe the code in initializeWidget that tests if domObj is valid
is never used now and it is probably there by mistake.

You should be able to copy the setUiObject method from EditableScale
into your widget and replace the appendChild calls to do the
appropriate thing.

Hope this helps

Paul