[mapguide-users] Fusion and Digitizing

Mark Pendergraft markp at Meadgilman.com
Fri Jan 23 15:58:23 EST 2009

Absolutely.
My biggest beef with digitizing in Fusion is that when you digitize an
object (point/polygon/etc.) it stays on the map.  The existing functions
don't have a clear method to remove the digitized object, and my
programming skills aren't good enough that I want to mess with it.

It's very simple,
Add a reference to MapGuideViewerApi.js and call DigitizePolygon()

The DigitizePolygon function requires that you pass it a handler

Something similar to the following:

DigitizePolygon(CreateJobByPolygon);

function CreateJobByPolygon(polygon) {
    var geomText = polygon.Count;
    for (var i = 0; i < polygon.Count; i++){
        geomText += "," + polygon.Point(i).X + "," + polygon.Point(i).Y;
    }
    Fusion.getWidgetById('Map').setCursor('auto');
//	here you would send your geomText to a web service, or aspx page
that would turn the coordinates into a linear ring
//    and then a polygon from there.  The geomText variable (in this
particular situation) evaluates to something similar to
//    3,5000.00,5000.00,5050.00,5050.00,5100.00,5100.00
}

Of course you can format the way the coordinates are sent to your
application any way you want.

I would also recommend calling the DigitizePolygon() function from an
InvokeScript() widget, as I had some problems when I tried to actually
create a widget and call it from there.  Also, I prefer to change my
cursor when the widget is activated, you can see I put it back to 'auto'
in the CreateJobByPolygon() function, but I like to set it to
'crosshair' before the DigitizePolygon function is called.

-Mark P.