[mapguide-users] Editing tool using MapGuide Open Source

Paul Spencer pagameba at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 08:41:28 EDT 2009

As far as editing MapGuide OS vectors in a web client goes, OpenLayers
is the state of the art unless you can use the DWF viewer's ActiveX
plugin.  Because OpenLayers is implemented in javascript and relies on
SVG or VML for the actual rendering and manipulation of vectors, you
will find that handling a large number of vectors will cause
performance problems in the client's web browser - even with recent
improvements in the javascript engines of all major browsers,
javascript is still an interpreted language and thus somewhat slow.
That being said, I would highly recommend that you actually try
OpenLayers for vector editing in your use case before deciding that it
won't work.  Do not rely entirely on the comments of others that you
find in a quick web search, you will definitely be evaluating them out
of context of the actual problems that were being described.

In practice, it is usually possible to minimize or avoid performance
problems through careful planning and fine tuning your
implementation.  You will need to spend time becoming familiar with
OpenLayers and understanding how it works before you can decide if it
is possible to produce a suitable solution for your use case.  Do not
expect a quick and easy solution to this problem, though, and do not
expect the community to do it for you.  The folks on this list (and
the OpenLayers list) will certainly help out but in the end it will be
you that needs to learn how to use the available tools and that will
take time on your part.

Cheers

Paul