[mapguide-users] Help for a newbie :)

ashaman methier at enwin.com
Tue Mar 3 10:14:20 EST 2009

Hello all,

I'm investigting the use of mapguide open source for my company, i'm an I.T.
analist, and I'm having an issue with the initial setup.

>From the getting started guide, I can do the following steps without issue:

1. Download and install the MapGuide Server and MapGuide Web Server
Extensions.

2. Download and extract the sample application.

3. Download the sample data.

But at step 4 something falls appart. Here's the verbage for step 4:

4. Load the sample data using the Site Administrator application.
Open a web browser to the following URL:
http://localhost:8008/mapguide/mapadmin/login.php.
Login using the user id "Administrator" and the default password "admin".
When you see the
Manage Servers page appear, select "Load Packages" in the left navigation
bar. Select the radio
button next to Sheboygan.mgp and click "Load Package".

I can log into the site, no problems there. But I don't see Load Packages in
the left navigation bar. What I do see is Manage Packages. I click that, and
I do see Load Packages at the bottom of the page, but I don't see
Sheboygan.mgp in the list, the list is actually blank. At the top of the
page is  'Make Package', but I can't seem to get that to work either. I
don't know what to type in for the folder name.

In directory C:\Program Files\MapGuideOpenSource2.0\Server\Packages I have

myresourcepackagemanifest.xml

there also exists sub directory :C:\Program
Files\MapGuideOpenSource2.0\Server\Packages\Library\Samples\Sheboygan

but I don't actually see an .mgp file anywhere

Thanks in advance!

Marc