[mapguide-users] Select Within and ODBC feature source

Plantech jerryr at plan-tech.com
Tue May 26 08:06:24 EDT 2009

I noticed the same thing in MGE 2010 and made an inquiry to the Autodesk MGE
discussion forum.  Here is my observation.

I've come across problems with selecting objects spatially with Mapguide
Enterprise.  It seems that when selecting objects (points) by buffer,
radius, or polygon, it depends on the type of data source being used.  For
spatial databases (sdf, shp) the selection area returns the correct points
within the criteria.  However, if I use mapped points from an ODBC
connection (Acess mdb or SQL 2000), the selected points are those contained
with a bounding box of the selection area - thus additional points outside
of the border of the selection area are returned based on the bounding box
limits of the border.  This makes the use of non-spatial ODBC data points
(data elements with x, y columns) almost worthless for selection by spatial
means.  It appears that the spatial selection only works correctly with
spatial entities.  Is this correct. Are there any other ways to accomplish
this with x,y databases?

Dave Wilson replied that unfortunately this appears to be a bug.

Hope it gets fixed soon as this seems a major problem in multiple selection
approaches.

jer