[mapguide-users] Oracle 10g Standard

Jonio, Dennis (Aviation) DJonio at miami-airport.com
Thu Oct 29 06:10:23 EDT 2009

James,
This is relevant to 10g and 11g. There is much misunderstanding
concerning Oracle's support of GIS. Oracle Locator is a subset of Oracle
Spatial functionality within ALL of the Oracle database products
including Oracle Express. Yes, you may optionally not install it w/in
Standard and Enterprise. (I am not sure if you even have the option of
not installing if you are using Oracle Express.) Because Oracle Express
does not come with the built in java engine some WKT/WKB functionality
is not there.
I would recommend using SL King Oracle FDO provider. I works very well.
Oracle Express 10g is free and works very well.
I have found absolutely no need for the additional functionality that
comes with the purchase of Oracle Spatial. FREE Oracle Locator provides
ample support for our needs at the moment.

I put this together some time ago. Check it out:
http://code.google.com/p/tf-net/wiki/OracleXeLicensedFunctionality

r,
dennis