[mapguide-users] Raster formats/compression question

JamesDudden jamesdudden at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 09:43:53 EDT 2009

Hi,
I have 2 MG installations that I have been testing different raster formats
in as follows:

MG2010 Enterprise, MGStudio2010, .NET
MGOS2, MGStudio2010, .NET

I am using GB OS 1:50000 data in tif format from the offical source. To
start with the tifs do not work in MGOS (I just get an error - "an
unclassified exception occurred") but they do work in Enterprise.

I was told that the Autodesk raster and Gdal don't handle raster formats in
the same way so some will work for one and maybe not the other and to
experiment with different compressions/formats.

So, I have tried changing the tif compression to LZW, Packbits, ZIP and JPEG
and only the JPEG works. The problem with JPEG compression is that there is
a slight degradation in quality and this won't do.

I am using Irfanview to convert my files.

Has anybody else had similar problems?
What is the optimum format/compression for MGOS2 and what software is best
to convert with?

Any other advice or comments are always welcome.

Regards
JD

-----
http://www.software-matters.co.uk Software Matters  -