[mapguide-users] Re: "Failed to read schema..." error with GDAL

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Mon Feb 8 06:14:27 EST 2010

The error message "failed to read schema" means that the
"DescribeSchema" operation gave an error.
As you can perform the "DescribeSchema" operation fine manually, there
is likely an error in Maestro.
I have modified Maestro to pick up a better (longer) description of the
error.
You need to install the preview version of Maestro before you can try
the modification.
The preview version is avalible for download on the usual download page,
just scroll down a bit.
Once installed, repeat what you have done so far, and there should now
be more information,
if you click "About" -> "Last exception".
If you email me the content of the "Last Exception" window, I will
attempt to fix the problem.

The purpose of the "DescribeSchema" operation is to fill the combo boxes
in the editor.
As they are filled correctly, the error message is likely a cosmetic
issue (eg. it can be ignored).

I used the "GMARBLES.tiff" from this page:
http://www.fileformat.info/format/tiff/sample/index.htm

But it is not a realistic TIFF file, as it has no spatial context.

Given the information that you can select the raster schema/column,
I belive Maestro does what it is supposed to. You can look in the xml,
to see if there is something obvious missing.

If the xml looks correct, it is likely a problem with your GDAL
configuration.
You can look in MapGuide's error.log for hints, alternatively try this
guide:
http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FdoGdalNotes

Look under "Debugging rasters in MapGuide"

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S