[mapguide-users] Labeling for Polygons with SimpleSymbolDefinition (Resend)

David Anderson da at donnellandallred.com
Mon Feb 22 12:44:53 EST 2010

I apologize for the double send.  I accidentally hit the send button before I was done.

I am trying to label a polygon using a SimpleSymbolDefinition.  I can get a piece of text to show but it always shows at the centroid of the area so it disappears when zoomed in.  Is there a way to label polygons where you only get one label and it is visible when zoomed in using the SimpleSymbolDefinition?

My symbol definition is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SimpleSymbolDefinition xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="SymbolDefinition-1.1.0.xsd" version="1.1.0">
  <Name>Zone Label</Name>
  <Graphics>
    <Text>
      <Content>'ZONE'</Content>
      <FontName>Arial</FontName>
      <Height>4</Height>
    </Text>
  </Graphics>
  <AreaUsage>
    <OriginControl>Centroid</OriginControl>
    <RepeatX>500000</RepeatX>
    <RepeatY>500000</RepeatY>
  </AreaUsage>
  <ParameterDefinition />
</SimpleSymbolDefinition>

My layer file snippet:

	  <CompositeRule>
          <LegendLabel>D</LegendLabel>
          <Filter>"fld_zone" = 'D'</Filter>
          <CompositeSymbolization>
            <SymbolInstance>
              <ResourceId>Library://dfirm/Symbols/zonelabel.SymbolDefinition</ResourceId>
              <ParameterOverrides />
            </SymbolInstance>
          </CompositeSymbolization>
        </CompositeRule>