[mapguide-users] Markup perpendicular

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 02:47:30 EST 2010

I may be reading your question the wrong way, but anyway here's my attempt at
an algorithm:

Given a digitized point [PT]:

1. Create a [Test Geometry] of circular arcs [Test Distance] away from [PT]
(ie. A circle centered on [PT] with radius [Test Distance])
2. Query all roads where [Road Geometry] WITHIN OR TOUCHES [Test Geometry]
3. If no results, increase [Test Distance] and go to 1. Repeat until there
are results or after a certain number of failed attempts.
4. If there are results, iterate through each geometry.
4.1. For each geometry determine the vertex (coordinate) with the shortest
distance. The only coordinates worth considering are ones which are WITHIN
OR TOUCHES [Test Geometry]
4.2. Record the shortest distance, and the associated coordinate, store in a
dictionary (eg. SortedList) with the associated feature.
5. Get the shortest distance in this dictionary, the associated feature will
be the closest road from the digitized point.
6. To get the distance measure from the digitized point to the closest
vertex on the associated feature. Use the map's coordinate system to get the
real world distance.

Where this algorithm could break down is if you digitized your point at a
location that is *very* far away from any roads, and "inflating" your test
circle will still not touch or intersect any roads after many iterations. I
guess you could "inflate" your test circle in fairly large distance
increments to avoid too many iterations.

Anyway, here's a source code approximation off the top of my head. I make no
guarantees as to whether this source code compiles :-)

- Jackie

class ClosestFeature
{
    public double Distance { get; set; }
    public MgProperty FeatureId { get; set; }
    public MgCoordinate ClosestVertex { get; set; }
}

MgGeometry CreateTestCircle(MgPoint pt, double joinDist)
{
	MgGeometryFactory GF = new MgGeometryFactory();
	MgCoordinate arcPt1 = GF.CreateCoordinateXY(click.Coordinate.X + joinDist,
click.Coordinate.Y);

	MgCoordinate arcPt2 = GF.CreateCoordinateXY(click.Coordinate.X - joinDist,
click.Coordinate.Y);
	MgCoordinate arcPt3 = GF.CreateCoordinateXY(click.Coordinate.X,
click.Coordinate.Y + joinDist);
	MgCoordinate arcPt4 = GF.CreateCoordinateXY(click.Coordinate.X,
click.Coordinate.Y - joinDist);
	MgArcSegment newGeom = GF.CreateArcSegment(arcPt1,arcPt2,arcPt3);
	MgArcSegment newGeom1 = GF.CreateArcSegment(arcPt2, arcPt1, arcPt4);

	MgCurveSegmentCollection myCurve = new MgCurveSegmentCollection();
	myCurve.Add(newGeom);
	myCurve.Add(newGeom1);

	MgCurvePolygon myPoly = GF.CreateCurvePolygon(GF.CreateCurveRing(myCurve),
null);

	Response.Write(closest.Touches(myPoly));

	return myPoly;
}

//
// Gets the outermost coordinates of a given geometry
//
List<MgCoordinate> GetOuterCoordinates(MgGeometry geom)
{
    List<MgCoordinate> coords = new List<MgCoordinate>();
	switch(geom.GeometryType)
	{
		case MgGeometryType.Point:
			{
				coords.Add(((MgPoint)geom).Coordinate);
			}
			break;
		case MgGeometryType.Polygon:
			{
				MgCoordinateIterator iter = ((MgPolygon)geom).ExteriorRing.Coordinates
				while(iter.ReadNext())
				{
					coords.Add(iter.GetCurrent());
				}
			}
			break;
		case MgGeometryType.CurvePolygon:
			{
				MgCoordinateIterator iter =
((MgCurvePolygon)geom).ExteriorRing.Coordinates
				while(iter.ReadNext())
				{
					coords.Add(iter.GetCurrent());
				}
			}
			break;
		case MgGeometryType.LineString:
			{
				MgLineString lstr = (MgLineString)geom;
				coords.Add(lstr.StartCoordinate);
				coords.Add(lstr.EndCoordinate);
			}
			break;
		case MgGeometryType.CurveString:
			{
				MgLineString lstr = (MgLineString)geom;
				coords.Add(lstr.StartCoordinate);
				coords.Add(lstr.EndCoordinate);
			}
			break;
		default: //MgMulti* geometry types
			{
			    //I'm not bothering to code this :-P
				//But you'd basically go through each sub-geometry and aggregate its
coordinates
				//If sub-geometry is polygon, aggregate its exterior ring coordinates.
			}
			break;
	}
	return coords;
}

// Gets the closest road feature from the map at the given point.
//
// A test circle is constructed to test for touching road features. If no
features are found, the
// circle is "inflated" by the specified distance. This is repeated until
there are results, or
// the max number of iterations has been reached.
//
// Returns the closes matching feature (ID, and its distance) or null if no
result is found after
// the specified number of iterations.
//
ClosestFeature GetClosestFeature(MgMap map, MgPoint pt. int maxIterations,
double incrementDist)
{
    MgLayer roadLayer = map.GetLayers().GetItem("Roads");
	MgCoordinateSystem mapCs =
MgCoordinateSystemFactory.Create(map.GetMapSRS());
    SortedList<double, ClosetFeature> matches = new SortedList<double,
ClosestFeature>();
    double distance = 1.0;
    int iterations = 0;
    MgWktReaderWriter wktIO = new MgWktReaderWriter();
    MgAgfReaderWriter agfIO = new MgAgfReaderWriter();
    MgGeometryFactory geomFact = new MgGeometryFactory();

    do
    {
        MgFeatureQueryOptions options = new MgFeatureQueryOptions();

        //Create our test circle.
        MgGeometry testCircle = CreateTestCircle(pt, distance);
        string testWkt = wktIO.Write(testCircle);
        options.SetFilter("Geometry TOUCHES GeomFromText('" + testWkt + "')
OR Geometry WITHIN GeomFromText('" + testWkt + "')");

		//Run Query, see if there are any matches.
        MgFeatureReader reader = layer.SelectFeatures(options);
        while (reader.ReadNext())
        {
			//We have a match.
            int featureId = reader.GetInt32("FeatureId"); //Assuming
FeatureId is the identity property
            MgByteReader agf = reader.GetGeometry("Geometry");
            MgGeometry matchGeom = agfIO.Read(agf);

			//Get its outermost coordinates
            List<MgCoordinate> outerCoords = GetOuterCoordinates(matchGeom);
            if (outerCoords.Count > 0)
            {
                foreach (MgCoordinate coord in outerCoords)
                {
                    MgPoint testPoint = geomFact.CreatePoint(coord);

					//If touches or within our test circle, record this result
                    if (testCircle.Touches(testPoint) ||
testCircle.Contains(testPoint))
                    {
                        double dist = mapCs.MeasureEuclideanDistance(coord,
pt.Coordinate);

                        ClosestFeature result = new ClosestFeature();
                        result.Distance = dist;
                        result.ClosestVertex = coord;
                        result.FeatureId = new MgInt32Property("FeatureId",
featureId);

                        matches.Add(distance, result);
                    }
                }
            }
        }

		//We have at least one result, we can stop iterating.
		if (matches.Count > 0)
			break;

		//Otherwise, inflate our test circle.
        iterations++;
        distance += incrementDist;
    }
	while (matches.Count == 0 && iterations < maxIterations);

	//If there are results, return the first one.
    if (matches.Count > 0)
    {
         return matches.Values[0]; //First entry is the closest since
entries are sorted by distance.
    }

    return null; //Couldn't find a result after maxIteration attempts,
return null.
}