[mapguide-users] Tracking location in MapGuide OS on a Notebook with GPS receiver

Denis Lalonde denlalonde at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 09:51:54 EST 2010

We currently have 9 laptops with GPS each running task-specific-flavours of
MGOS for our Public works guys (Hydrants, Flushing, Valve Turning…)

Each of the laptops uses the USB GPS that comes with Microsoft’s Streets and
Trips. I found this useful app
(http://download.cnet.com/GpsDiffuser/3000-12940_4-10784105.html?tag=mncol)
that reads the NEMA stream coming in via the com port and save it to a log
file (the app starts and is config’ed automatically on boot up).

Via ScriptFrame, I pull the last line from the most recent logfile, decipher
the NMEA string to get the Lat/Long, apply a coord conversion and then
simply ZoomTo(x, y, scale).

It’s not very elegant, but it’s been working for over a year and making
their jobs that much easier.