[mapguide-users] Re: develop mapguide

Dave Wilson dave.wilson at autodesk.com
Fri Jun 25 10:52:06 EDT 2010

MapGuide 101:

MapGuide is comprised of a Data processing server and a Web server which may or may not be installed on the same machine. The following outlines the basic steps once you have the above installed. Note you should decide which programming language you plan to use at the time of the web installation. PHP, .NET or Java are your options. You can decide to use Apache or IIS. You can also decide between Windows or Linux as your operating system.

Note your web server must be hosted or accessible via the internet if you wish others to see it external to your location, otherwise it is only available on your local area network.

The following are the primary steps to creating a map viewable via a web browser once you have your installation.

1) Connect or upload data
2) Create and style a layer for each data source
3) Create a map and add the layers
4) Create a Layout (Basic or Flexible) and add the map
5) View the layout in the browser

To connect to the data create a data folder on your server and organize the data into some logical structure. Various formats are supported including SHP, SDF, ODBC, Oracle, SQL Server, image files etc. For databases you need their connectivity clients installed as the data isn't actually local to the server.

>From Site Admin "Configure external files" and "Add an alias" pointing to the main folder where your data is saved under by supply a local server path "D:\data" for example or if you have
to use a network share via a UNC path "\\server\share\folder". The best performance is always gained using local data.

Using either MapGuide Maestro (Open Source) or MapGuide Studio (Enterprise), create connections to the data. I'm not sure Maestro supports uploading of files, but Studio does. Note file uploads to the server have a 2Gb limit (controlled via php). Most people simply use data connections to data stored on the server.

Create layers pointing to the data connections you created. There are various styling options to consider including when and when not to show the data (setting the scale range) as well as when and when not to create labels. Labeling can be intensive and showing labels too early causes unnecessary processing. Decide which layers you plan to select from. Specify the properties you wish the users to see.

Create a map and add your layers to it. Note the coordinate system of the map does not have to match that of the data, but it needs to be able to logically convert. You can't assign and expect all of a file of the world (WGS84) to display in a local coordinate system such as Montana State Plane, the reverse however will work. If the map and the data are in the same coordinate system then there is less processing involved resulting in the faster display of your data. Generally organize your layers based on feature type, points on top of lines, lines on top of polygons. Decide which layers can be selected from and enable selection for the layers you added properties.

Create a layout. A layout is a web page template for hosting the map. There are 2 kinds: one php based (Flexible layouts using Fusion) and the other (Basic Layouts) coded in php, .net or Java. there are pros and cons to either. The layout provides a URL you can use to access your layout via the web.

There are many more details to the above, but that is the basic overview.

Regards,
Dave