[mapguide-users] MapGuide with Openlayers (Searching for Detailed yet Simple Development Examples)

Chris Gountanis cgountanis at mpowerinnovations.com
Thu Mar 18 12:21:27 EDT 2010

I know the common answer to this is take a look at Fusions 65k lines of OOP
inheritance rich code. If you are not used to JavaScript programming with
higher level OOP concepts on a daily basis it can be a pain to reverse
engineer. I will be checking out Fiddler later today as suggested by
zspitzer in another post. I assume this is why there are ZERO simple
break-down development examples on how to use Openlayers with MapGuide or
ArcGIS.

I think what people including myself are looking in simple in-line
JavaScript:
 - Bring in a MapGuide Map showing separate layers as it was designed in
Studio. Bringing in a map from MapGuide and having it show up in OpenLayers
as a single overlay is not very useful for most MapGuide developers.
 - Allow built-in Openlayers selection methods on the layers that allow
selections nothing fancy just show results in message box or something along
those lines.
 - Show tool tips using MapGuide built-in tool tip settings.
 - Show some legend examples like Fusion but more of a simple JavaScript for
beginners... nothing pretty just functional examples.

To the point question: Is OpenLayers and MapGuide a priority or will it
always be more for WMS overlay in general for max built-in functionality? I
need to evaluate for our development projects and right now I am personally
at a loss for MapGuide and ArcGIS with OL as the base client. I really want
to get on board here and admit my advanced JavaScript is lacking but is
there anything to help us get started with simple proof of concepts?