[mapguide-users] building 64bit openmapguide on rhel 5.4

Rajeev Singh rajeev at ipssi.com
Wed Mar 31 00:55:54 EDT 2010

Thanks for sharing that - though Trevor has explicitly said that 2.2 is the
one that might be 64 bit, let me share my experience on Centos 5.5 (btw you
can use the 32 bit build on 64 bit machine)

**Trevor - my interest in 64 bit was actually to use it against 64 bit java
(and the current plan for not doing 64 bit web components, in my opinion,
restricts utility to a large extent.

I also did -fPIC - infact lots of the makefiles did not pass on the
parameters (i.e. the makefiles being generated do not follow good practices
of taking things from environment). So created a script wrapper around
gcc/cc/g++/c++ (yup all the 4 compiler commands are used by the make files)

The DwfCore needed to be tweaked (for the Tick32) and some compile
directives needed to be checked. I got a sense looking at these files and
one of the core component files (I forget which one) had assumptions builit
in about size of int and there were issues fixed for 16 to 32 bit
conversion, though I think we did a cursory fix the end result was that
though successful compilation happened, the thing did not run.

Anyway I will look at 2.2 branch and retry 64 bit compilation.

thx

Rajeev K. Singh
IntelliPlanner Software Systems, Inc.
West Windsor, NJ (USA) / New Delhi (India)
+1.609.945.4927 (o) / +1.203.558.3224 (c)
+91.11.4672 6635(o) / +91.995 841 1064(c)
This mail contains proprietary and confidential information.
Please destroy it if you received it by mistake and notify the sender.