[mapguide-users] Calculating map meters per unit without MgCoordinateSystem

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 09:43:53 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I've been playing around with the Maestro 3.0 API backend trying to port
over the existing Runtime Map functionality. In particular, I've been trying
to see if I can use existing Rendering Service APIs with my
purely-client-side-created runtime map. The results were a bit strange:

A 1024 x 1024 map image request returns a 1024 x 1024 image but with only
several pixels actually rendered at the center of the image.

After some sleuthing around, it turns out my default meters-per-unit was way
off. Putting in the correct meters-per-unit value returns a fully-rendered
1024 x 1024 image. So here's the problem:

The meters-per-unit value is calculated by:

MgCoordinateSystem.ConvertCoordinateSystemUnitsToMeters(1.0) (as seen in the
mapframe.aspx/php/jsp of the AJAX viewer)

Unfortunately, the code being purely client-side (and Maestro API being 100%
managed), I do not have access to the official MapGuide API and thus the
MgCoordinateSystem class.

So is there a purely managed way to calculate this value?

- Jackie