[mapguide-users] Re: How to change layer definition in Maestro when underlying datasource changes ? (n00b question?)

Bo Victor Thomsen bvt at geograf.dk
Tue Aug 16 04:40:00 EDT 2011

To Steve -

I'm changing the name of the column, i.e making stuctural changes in the
table. I'm not changing the content of any fields. I'm not changing the
column type or constraints, only the column name.

Detailed description:

  * Create a dataconnection to Oracle Express 10.0 using Oracle King
    Provider 3.4 ver. 8.28: Success. Data and graphics can be previewed.
  * Create a layer using above-mentioned dataconnection: Success. Layer
    can be previewed, objects in the layer can be selected and
    propertiesm be shown using the ajaxviewer.
  * Change a column name or "field name" ("beloved child has many names"
    :-) in the oracle table used in the above-mentioned layer with a
    third-party tool.
  * Inspect the layer after the column name change using Maestro: The
    column name in the properties window has not changed and preview
    doesn't show the layer.
  * Right-click the relevant featuresource and click on "Purge Cached
    Schema Information".
  * Inspect the layer again: The column's name has now changed to the
    new name and preview shows the layer again.

So Jackie's method apparently works.
Alternatively, you can right-click the layer itself and then click on
the ""Purge Cached Schema Information"" sub-item.

Regards (and thanks!)

Bo Victor Thomsen

Den 15-08-2011 18:25, Steve G skrev:
> Can you verify...are you updating records or changing column names (i.e.
> "field names")?  If you are updating records, then Jackie's approach works,
> but if you are making actual changing to the table structures by changing
> column names of your data, then I believe the only way is to update your
> layer definition (you don't necessarily need to update the data connection
> unless you have filters).  You don't have to recreate the layer/data
> connection definitions...you can just update the xml file with the correct
> property names.
>
> -Steve

Med venlig hilsen

Civ.Ing.