[mapguide-users] Limiting database access does it improve performance in MGE?

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Fri Aug 19 19:35:10 EDT 2011

Hi Kent,

Typically, MapGuide will perform a describe schema when the FDO connection is first opened.  As far as I know, using a smaller subset of tables will reduce what describe schema "sees" and improve the initial connect time for the FDO connection.  In other words, describe schema doesn't have to walk the entire schema for your database.  As long as the FDO connection remains "pooled" then the schema should not be queried again.

I don't think it will affect the speed of processing the join since the connection is already established at that point.  However, if you have connection pooling disabled, then it will affect the join speed since a connection is made for every select statement.

The default FeatureService properties in serverconfig.ini will remove stale FDO connections after 8 hours and purge schema every 24 hours.

[FeatureServiceProperties]
DataConnectionTimeout = 28800
DataConnectionPoolExcludedProviders = OSGeo.SHP,OSGeo.SDF
DataConnectionPoolEnabled = 1
CacheTimeLimit = 86400

Regards,
Trevor