[mapguide-users] MGE performance. It's soooooo Slllllllooooooowwww

frosty1_4me kbowman at cityofgp.com
Fri Jan 28 13:05:49 EST 2011

Hi,

We have been working on a complete migration from 6.5 to MGE as a pilot to
see if we can actually move to the new platform since the 6.5 software is no
longer supported.

We have brought across everything from our 6.5 app to the new MGE framework
(using fusion due to the required functionality), we have also made alot of
changes in an attempt to speed up our data.  We currently use SQL for our
db's, but we've went so far as to setup static tables instead of news in the
db, we have also imported data and stored in directly in the SDF's to try
and speed things up, but nothing we have tried really makes a difference.
The performance of MGE using Fusion is unbelievabley slow and there doesn't
seem to be anything we can do.

Take for example a simple SDF3 of parcels.  We created an SDF3 that has
about 23k parcels and instead of linking it to a db, we attached the data to
the parcels in an attempt to speed up the flyouts in MGE.  The data is only
a simple ID, and another db field for testing purposes.  We used the tooltip
method in MGE and we also tried using an aspx page to load the simple
dataset instead of the tooltip directly accessing the data from the
attribute list in MGE.   The results were the same, slow flyout loading
times.  To make things worse, if we turned on a layer which has alot of
data, then tested the flyouts again for the parcels, it takes about 15secs
for the flyout to appear.  Obviously thats not acceptable.

I don't know what else we can do with all of this.  The performance of MGE
is absolutely horrible, and after using 6.5 for so long we actually are
considering going to a completely different GIS software. (Esri?)

How are others dealign with this performance issue?  The basic AJAX viewer
is faster, but you also don't have the tools and flexablitly that you do
with the Fusion setup.

Thanks.