[mapguide-users] RE: MGE performance. It's soooooo Slllllllooooooowwww

Gary Morin gary.morin at keynetix.com
Sun Jan 30 16:40:39 EST 2011

Hi

We have put in loads of work porting an 6.5 site to MGE, to be honest we
had to abort our first attempt, it was just too slow and not stable
enough, but after a lot of hard work by our team it's about to go live and
I can say it now out performs the old 6.5 by a long way.

We are using MGE 2011 on 64bit platform, we have spatial data store in SDF
and PostGIS, SDF for the static data and PostGIS for the dynamic data. We
have around 50Gb of vector data on a 100+ layers, so there is a reasonable
amount of data on the system

We use a heavily customised Basic Ajax viewer and have found using the GIF
format the best compromise for quality and speed. You need your sdf on the
local MGE server, but our DB is on another server on a 1Ghz Network.

I notice you say you are using themed layers via Joins, I presume you mean
MapGuide Joins?, don't, they are really slow. Instead create a view in
your DB and theme on that, again set your scale range so you are not
trying to display all 23k parcels at once. is not a very big number, so it
should not be a problem.
We have SQL2005, but all data that directly relates to MapGuide has ported
to PostGIS, I have heard other people say that SQL 2008 Spatial is now
quite good, but we are getting great results from PostGIS and my
development team swear by it.

We have also done some serious load testing on the servers and have
simulated 20 concurrent users hitting the servers nonstop for 72 hours and
with good results.

So keep at, it will start clicking into place.

Regards

Gary

Keynetix Ltd
Member of the Key Systems Group

Tel. +44 (0) 1527 68888
Fax: +44 (0) 1527 62880
Dir. +44 (0) 1604 891152
Mobile: 07801 371438
Web Site: http://www.keynetix.com

KeySpatial - Team GIS,
Unite your Business Information
www.keynetix.com/KeySpatial

IMPORTANT: Please address all support & sales correspondence to either
support at keynetix.com or sales at keynetix.com Addressing support questions to
individuals may delay the response

I'm