[mapguide-users] Best way to incorperate non-spatial data from a database?

jamsea thejamsea at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 08:55:35 EDT 2011

Right now I have two data sources. A static SHP Feature Source and ODBC
Feature Source connected to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2. The shape files
contain static meter locations, while the database will have hourly meter
load data that will be updated every hour.

I want the meter load data to appear on each meter in the map. The shape
file and the database both have a field called "MTR_NUM" that they can be
joined with. I can set up an ODBC Feature source and join it with the shape
file resource seemingly just fine in Maestro 3.0, but when I try viewing the
layer in the map mapguide freezes up and I need to restart my dev machine to
try to get it to work again.

I am on the right track? Should I be trying integrate my shape file info
into the database and use a MS SQL Server Spatial feature source instead? If
so, how would I do that?

Thanks for your time,
Jamie