[mapguide-users] MgCocker performances

Franz1965 fsozzi at INTERCAD.CH
Mon Apr 23 17:17:25 EDT 2012

Hi All,

I've downloaded MgCooker and complied, just to make it work with MGOS 2.4
beta. I've compiled and moved the exe file on Maestro root folder.

Tiles engine is a great concept, but I'm a bit confused on how to get the
best from this tool.
For instance now I'm playing around a project on a little town where I've
created a group layer with five shp based layers. Something light and fast
to render.
I've set up tiles for few scales:
35000
1000
500
250

I've executed MgCooker with default values and I get the estimation for 280
hours :-(
For my need I'm looking for a compromise tile configuration that works
during the night (10-15 hours, not more). Unfortunatelly 280 hours for me is
really too much.
This is not the first time I get similar performances (for my experience
this is the rule), but may be there is something wrong on how I use it.
I'm working on a Windows 7 32bit Virtual Machine.

On MgCooker I've seen parameters for "Limit Number of Tiles" or "Concurrent
reuqest". I've left all default because I don't understand what they exactly
mean.
Anybody has any suggestion on how to reduce computation time? Are the any
documentation on how to setup MgCooker parameters?