[mapguide-users] Questions for Maestro users on Linux/Mac

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 22:44:28 EST 2012

Hi All,

I'd like to pose some questions for the Linux/Mac users out there using
Maestro via Mono.

I am considering migrating Maestro to target .net Framework 4.0 (we
currently still target .net Framework 2.0). The primary reason for this move
is because the next version of the official MapGuide .net API will be
targeting 4.0 and if we don't upgrade Maestro to target 4.0, we lose the
ability to have LocalNative connection support for future versions of
MapGuide/AIMS.

If we migrate to .net 4.0, we still retain the ability to reference
assemblies of older framework versions, so we can still have LocalNative
connection support for the current and older versions of the MapGuide .net
API.

The reason I have been very conservative thus far by staying on .net
Framework 2.0 is to ensure Maestro will work better on Mono (generally
speaking, the older the .net Framework version, the better support in Mono).

If we do migrate Maestro to .net Framework 4.0, the minimum version of Mono
that will theoretically work with this migrated version of Maestro will be
2.8

So my questions to the Linux/Mac Maestro users are:

 1. What version of Mono are you currently using?
 2. Are you capable of using Mono 2.8 or newer? I know Ubuntu for example,
is very conservative with their releases of Mono and may not have the
version of Mono that we require.

- Jackie