[mapguide-users] BaseMap

Douglas Gardim dgardim at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 15:41:44 PDT 2012

Hi community,

I'm using MapGuideEnterprise2011, and something weird is happening to my
base layers.

I drilled down the problem to this:

We have a BaseMapDefinition with a couple of BaseMapLayers and a few
regular MapLayers. In this situation the baselayers work pretty well and
the tiled map images are generated gracefully.

<MapDefinition ...>
  <MapLayer>...</MapLayer>
  <MapLayer>...</MapLayer>
  <BaseMapDefinition>
    <BaseMapLayerGroup>
      <BaseMapLayer>...</BaseMapLayer>
      <BaseMapLayer>...</BaseMapLayer>
    </BaseMapLayerGroup>
  </BaseMapDefinition>

</MapDefinition>

The problem starts when I add a simple empty MapLayerGroup to my
MapDefinition. When I try to use this configuration my base layers simply
stop working. The MapLayers continue showing normally, but nothing shows up
in the BaseMapLayers. The base layers are shown only in the layers list.

<MapDefinition ...>
  <MapLayer>...</MapLayer>
  <MapLayer>...</MapLayer>
**<MapLayerGroup><Name>New Layer Group</Name>...</MapLayerGroup>**
  <BaseMapDefinition>
    <BaseMapLayerGroup>
      <BaseMapLayer>...</BaseMapLayer>
      <BaseMapLayer>...</BaseMapLayer>
    </BaseMapLayerGroup>
  </BaseMapDefinition>

</MapDefinition>

I found that MapGuide has created a "New Layer Group" directory (the name
of the MapLayerGroup!!) inside the \Server\Repositories\TileCache
directory, going down the directory tree I see many empty tiled images. It
seems like it tried to create a tiled map for my MapLayerGroup instead of
the BaseMapLayerGroup.

I dont believe it's a bug because using MapLayerGroups together with
BaseMapLayerGroups seems to be a very common configuration to me.
Am I missing something here? Have anyone ever experienced something like
this?

Thanks in advance!
DougG

<mapguide-users at lists.osgeo.org>