[mapguide-users] Re: Google Earth 6.1 Issues

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Wed Mar 21 01:51:38 EDT 2012

You'd be better off taking a MapGuide render of a few different geometry
types options (extrusion, etc) and running them through the Galdos KML
Validator to see what MapGuide is doing wrong.

http://kmlvalidator.com/home.htm

The GeoREST generator outputs KML geometry to spec, and the rest is up the
the individual template author to get right; it's just as likely to be
non-compliant as anything.  If the validator doesn't catch it, then it's
likely that MapGuide is getting the KML winding order wrong.

Here's one of mine that validates if it helps:
http://maps.nanaimo.ca/data/property/115545.kml

In my opinion, the MapGuide KML implementation will take more than a
geometry fix to be truly functional. A bandaid solution would be OK for
current users, but IMO what it really needs is a complete overhaul or
deprecation.

Jason