[mapguide-users] Re: MgCooker - too much useless tiles generated

Franz1965 fsozzi at INTERCAD.CH
Thu May 10 03:44:39 EDT 2012

Jackie Ng wrote

> I would advise you to use either the MgCooker included with the 5.0 beta
> or 4.0.1 release as it fixes GETTILE calls over http (it mixed up the
> row/col parameters) and could probably explain why lots of useless tiles
> are being generated.
>
> - Jackie

 Hi Jackie,

Thanks for answer.

No, nothing is changed. I used ver 4.0.1 and now I've taken a try with 5.0
beta. Now original MgCooker does not crash, this is great good new :-) but
if I try to generate tiles with standard settings (all setting I have when
MgCooker opens) it tries to build more than 1'000'000 tiles and the greater
part of them are useless.

I get a better result if I set "Use official method" with "meter per pt =
1". In this case I have exactly the same estimation I have by use of AIMS
Studio 2013: 206'337 tiles. This is much better but:
- I don't understand what does it mean and how things change on modifying
"meter per pt"
- I still have too many useless tiles
- "override bounds" is disabled and I can't write anything

Tile system is really great (fundamental in same cases), but the problem are
performances on generating, it takes really too much time. I thing that the
performances problem are around the huge amount of useless tiles it
generates.

I've made tests on data I've posted just before on this thread.