[mapguide-users] Problem with ODBC on 64-Bit-machine after Update to MG2.4 Final

Hans Milling hm at geograf.dk
Thu Oct 18 22:50:23 PDT 2012

Hi David

Microsoft designed these drivers, so why on earth they decided that it has
to be this difficult to install, don't ask me. Anyway I guess they never
could imagine anyone would install a 32 bit version of Office on a 64 bit
Windows. But just as they invented the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 that shadows
System32 folder, instead og just making a System64. Like they did the same
with the registry and all the other crazy things they made to make life hard
on the developers. I guess this is just one of those things that we have to
live with.

Secondly, why do you need to install the ODBC drivers on tablets? Is the
MGOS 2.4 not running on a server? It is only for the server where you make
the ODBC connection to your database that you have to install this driver,
not on the clients.
If you have an application that communicates directly with MGOS you can just
install the web part on the tablet and still have the main MGOS2.4 installed
on a server. Unless your tablets have to work offline?

Thirdly 32 bit version should be able to install on a 64 bit server, the
application pool shoul be running in 32 bit mode then.

Hans...