[mapguide-users] MG 2.4 final, MG 2.5 Beta 1 problems, errors ... ect.

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 13:02:46 PST 2013

Keep "offending" :) We haven't really had this much honest detailed feedback
about Fusion for a while. Better to do this now while 2.5 is still in beta
than for it to go final and having to wait for another release cycle for
such problems to be addressed.

Just to give some history about the Theme and Redline widgets (possibly
Query also falls in to this as well)

These widgets are direct transplants of code from the original "Generic
Tasks" sample for the AJAX viewer
(http://data.mapguide.com/mapguide/phpgenerictasks/index.php)

So while such widgets are fully functional, I don't think much thought was
put into their usability.

For any non-Aqua template, the general thought about these widgets is that
while these widgets are visible in the Task Pane, they are still considered
activated. That's why the Measure widget is still in measure mode. Perhaps
you're right and we should look at making all these widgets model the Buffer
tool in usability.

Now about the Redline widget in particular, the reason why so many settings
pre-defined for you is this ticket
(http://trac.osgeo.org/fusion/ticket/508). In the first cut of this widget
(in AIMS 2013), there were many *mandatory* configuration steps to go
through before you actually start the redlining process. So we decided for
the sake of getting the user to start drawing redlines from the moment they
hit that Redline button as soon as possible, that we pre-fill most of these
configuration values up front, and if the user doesn't like the layer name
or the style of their redlines, they can always go back and change them
later on.

I can't recall of the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure that the Redline
widget has extension properties so you can have the original multi-step
configuration behaviour.

- Jackie