[mapguide-users] Network topology and Mapguide

Jamo adam.jamison at portbris.com.au
Tue Jun 25 18:16:15 PDT 2013

Gday community
Just looking for some feedback on what if any network topology you guys
actually use and how you have implemented it?
I'm at a stage where I can choose a direction for our network topology
(currently we have no such beast)

I have tools available to me in the proprietry CAD / Mapping software we sue
to implement topology however I'm afraid If I implement the topology using
it I will start locking my data away into the bentley DGN and have to
re-write topology rules to be used in other applications (mapguide for
instance)

Any thoughts on the following options
Go ahead with the Bentley option (possibly lock my data away to dgn usage
only)
Implement attributes on each feature to allow populating which feature
connects to what (more of a logic way that I can hopefully use in any
application)

Currently the DGN uses a 32 character ID to uniquely identify each feature
will this be a problem in developing such a beast?

As always current data follows no topology rules, points don't sit on lines,
some lines don't connect, lines don't end and start at points using the
logic model rather than a graphical model would negate the need to actually
make the features visually link.... but yeah and thoughts?

-----
MapGuide Maestro 5.0b
MapGuide Opensource 2.2.0.5703
Fusion, PHP, Apache