[mapguide-users] Seeking Linux guidance

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 04:39:08 PST 2013

Hi All,

I'm seeking some guidance on how I can improve the MapGuide build process
for Linux.

This is what I currently have set up:

 - A separate VM for each distro/CPU I want to build MapGuide for. Currently
this is:
   - 1 xubuntu 12.04 32-bit VM
   - 1 CentOS 6.4 32-bit VM
 - Each VM contains the required compilers and libs and a svn checkout of
FDO/MapGuide

And the build process is currently:

 1. Start each VM
 2. Build FDO on each VM
 3. Build MapGuide on each VM
 4. Make the tarballs on the CentOS VM. Make the debs on the xubuntu VM

The reason I am using separate VMs for each distro is simply because I do
not understand what the binary compatibility story is on Linux, between
versions of gcc, between various distros, etc.

And with 64-bit MapGuide/FDO around the corner this raises even more
questions. The worse case, I'm looking at this build effort being doubled in
our current way of doing things if we want 64-bit builds.

Basically what I really want is something that approximates how I build
MapGuide on Windows. On Windows, it's just one 64-bit OS that can build both
32 and 64-bit MapGuide/FDO, all hooked up to Jenkins CI so I can build
everything at a press of a button.

I have nothing like this on Linux :( This is why Linux builds have always
lagged behind the Windows ones. I have to do all this stuff manually. What
I'd like to have is a single 64-bit Linux build environment that can compile
32 and 64-bit MapGuide/FDO whose binaries can work across various Linux
distros (Ubuntu LTS and CentOS 6.x at a minimum).

Is such a Linux build environment possible? Or am I dreaming? Do you have
any ideas on how this process could be more streamlined?

I'm all ears. Not urgent for this upcoming 2.5.2 release, but something I'd
like to put into action/consideration for 2.6.

- Jackie