[mapguide-users] Maestro on Linux

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:04:30 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I just want to get an idea of what distros you are using when using Maestro
on Linux.

I'm getting sick and tired of new features that I implement for Maestro
being broken in half by ancient versions of Mono despite following my
standard practice of using a safe subset of .net Framework libraries. This
is doubly compounded by the fact that some distros like Ubuntu use ancient
versions of Mono preventing upgrades to the desired version of Mono I want
to target.

I'm considering looking at making distro-specific builds of Maestro whereby
I'll build my desired version of Mono from source on said distro and then
statically link in the Mono runtime and dependent assemblies into Maestro
via mkbundle so that it can then be self-contained and targeted towards the
version of Mono I want to target (ie. The current 3.4 version), but without
needing Mono installed on the user's machine (as it will have been
statically linked in by mkbundle).

Assuming this approach works, it should make the Maestro user experience on
Linux much better. The question then becomes what distros should I try to
target if we want to do this?

That question is based on my weak knowledge of Linux binary compatibility
between distros, so I guess I can pre-empt that question with another one:
Can we mkbundle Mono into Maestro on one distro and have it work without
issues on other distros?

- Jackie