[mapguide-users] MapGuide Java vs PHP

Riccardo Pucci riccardo.pucci at geowebitalia.it
Thu Dec 18 09:33:43 PST 2014

Hi Farhan,

I use java api daily without problems. Basically there are no difference
between :net, php and java api because Mapguide has a single C++ server
side api, exposed via swig to the three high level languages. For that
reason documentation and samples are valid for the 3 languages.

The real choice that matters is the client viewer technology you want to
use:
1) Ajax viewer: you can use php, .net and java for customization. From java
point of view you are limited to jsp only programming (no servlets, no
frameworks).. not very comfortable.
2) Fusion viewer: only php available for customization.
3) Build your own openlayers based viewer. Much more effort but no
restriction.

My 2 cents: if  1) or 2) match your needs with little customization, go for
it and use php for portability. If you plan to do many changes or map
viewer is just a small piece of your whole project go for 3) with
technology you are most productive for you.

Riccardo

> ok thanks a lot James.
>
> If anyone else has any experience regarding this, please do share.
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 7:20 PM, Berg, James <James.Berg at stantec.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> It’s difficult to provide specific links. It’s more of a general
>> impression that I have been given over time.
>>
>> I can tell you that most of my impressions come from this mailing list
>> and this blog: http://themapguyde.blogspot.ca/

Riccardo Pucci
Geoweb Italia S.r.l.