[mapguide-users] Unavailable SQL Server hangs-up MapGuide Server

Gunter Becker gunter.becker at csogis.de
Thu Feb 6 06:05:26 PST 2014

Hi Jackie,

it seems this only belongs to the WMS Provider and I really don't think that
this is the root problem.

So, I started further investigation and created two maps in Maestro with
some layers that references a SHP FeatureSource. In the second map I added
also a layer that references a FeatureSource to a non existent SQL Server.

When launching (preview) the second map it took approximately 1-2 min to
show up the map. The other map (without reference to SQL Server) appears
instantly.

BUT, when you try to pan or zoom the map with the SHP based layers only
while the other map tries to reach the non existing SQL Server, then this
map hangs until the other one gets response. BTW this is the time when the
error is logged.

So, in a production environment where the connection to a SQL Server gets
lost - for what reason ever - all users would immediately notice this broken
connection even when they are accessing completely other FeatureSources in
their map.

I would expect a behavior similar to the other providers like the SHP or SDF
Provider where the broken connection is recognized immediately and an error
is logged. The map in this case also shows up instantly.

Any ideas how to fix this? I have the feeling that there already was a
similar thread in this forum in the last few weeks but I can't remember
when?

Gunter