[mapguide-users] Mg-Desktop on Androïd

Hans Milling hm at geograf.dk
Wed Jul 9 05:09:29 PDT 2014

I am involved in making an offline map viewer for IOS (iPad) at the company
where I work. I can tell you how we did this:

1. Make an application that can extract the map, layers and feature sources
from MapGuide. Our application creates some XML with all the settings for
the layers (line with, color, labels etc.). The application should also
extract the data from the feature sources. We invented our own binary file
format to store the data tables, geometry etc. to allow very fast spatial
searches and retrieval of data.
2. Make a web service that can feed the exported data to the IOS map viewer
application on the iPad. The iPad app syncronizes once a day when the iPad
is "at the office" on the WiFi network.
3. Create a render engine that will read the data files and render the map,
with pinch zoom and various widgets to search the map, measure tools etc.

It takes a lot of time and effort, especially the render engine is a tough
one, but it can be done even though you have no knowledge how to do it
before you start. Our product is almost finished.

Best regards
  Hans Milling...