[mapguide-users] Plans for 64-bit Linux release of MapGuide

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 18:27:31 PDT 2014

Hi All,

Now that this change has landed (
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/changeset/8399), I am confident that we now
have a functional MapGuide Server for 64-bit Linux. \o/ \o/

Further web tier testing will need to be done to give me that extra level
of confidence with my above assertion. I believe that with the above
changeset, this marks the end of any remaining 64-bit portability issues
with the MapGuide codebase.

This means the only real issues left are on the FDO side. From my last
recalled test run of FDO, the 64-bit readiness of the various FDO
components based on their respective unit test results are:

   - Core API: Functional
   - SDF Provider: Functional
   - SHP Provider: Unknown (spatial index tests are failing, may cause
   havoc with spatial queries)
   - SQLite Provider: Functional
   - GDAL Provider: Functional
   - OGR Provider: Unknown (no test suite currently, my still pending
   enhanced OGR provider work has a test suite which we can then gauge for
   64-bit readiness when finally integrated)
   - WFS Provider: Unknown (no test suite)
   - WMS Provider: Unknown (yet to run tests and observe results)
   - King.Oracle Provider: Unknown
   - MySQL Provider: Unknown (yet to run tests and observe results)
   - PostgreSQL Provider: Unknown (yet to run tests and observe results)
   - ODBC Provider: Unknown (yet to run tests and observe results)

In the event that not all of the above providers will be 64-bit ready in
time, I believe a MapGuide release for 64-bit Linux with a subset of
functional FDO providers is still a worthy goal of achieving.

I'll look to start preparing to make 64-bit builds of MapGuide for the
64-bit versions of CentOS 6.x and Ubuntu 12.04. Those that are able, are
strongly recommended to try out these builds when they're made available
and report back on any issues and/or confirm the working/non-working status
of any of the above FDO providers.

- Jackie