[mapguide-users] mapguide-rest feedback

Berg, James James.Berg at stantec.com
Wed Oct 22 12:25:14 PDT 2014

I've been using MapGuide REST to develop some custom printing functionality.

In particular I've I'm interested in the PDF and DWF output. The layered PDF functionality I couldn't use because it doesn't work with maps with base map groups yet.

The DWF output has been really helpful because you can template it with a PrintLayout. The printlayout features are most important. The visible legend and scale are pretty much essential when doing anything engineering related. DWF is also great because users can markup the page using something like Autodesk Design Review. PDF is a great output for users who don't know how to convert things to PDF. In my world, if it can't be turned into a PDF, it need not exist.

The PrintLayout resource editor in Maestro is pretty limited, but out of the box is does what we need.

Other things I'm planning to use REST for:

Creation of a new mobile viewer based on REST and either OpenLayers or Leaflet could be in the future. It's all theoretical, though. If I'm going the make a whole new viewer I'd rather use REST than the mapagent. Seems simpler that way.

I can't think of any new features to include yet. It'll come up, though. MapGuide REST looks pretty important to me.