[mapguide-users] alias - unc - performance issue

Fritz Robert Robert.Fritz at win.ch
Wed Aug 12 22:11:09 PDT 2015

Hi

So far we have put all data on a local drive (VM W2008R2).
We would like to move data to a shared drive ( 30GB of data to be shared between three MapGuide servers  for readonly access).

I did a test and created an alias using an UNC path pointing to a shared network folder.

Same map, same SDF file, same layers, same scale and extent  - the difference is enormous - consistently (tested on two different servers):

Performance report :
# sdf on local drive

Total Generation Time: 664.23 ms
Layers: 409.67 ms (61.7%)

# sdf on network drive via unc/alias

Total Generation Time: 8,683.02 ms
8,399.52 ms (96.7%)  (Layers)

I cannot rule out a slow network drive completely but it is unlikely (according to our IT):
-       UNC shared drive - we have this setup with MG 6.5. and it works very well
-       All data (VMwares, shared drives) use the same storage system

Looking through the MGOS mailing list archive I see that perfomance and aliases were an issue in the early days of MapGuide (around 2007/2008) - but nothing recent.

So, I'm curoius - has anyone else made negative experiences using an alias and shared drives?
Is there something I can do with regards to configuration / testing?
Any hints or suggestions?

We are currently using MG 2.4, an update is not an option right now (due to dependencies).

Many thanks, Rob