[mapguide-users] alias - unc - performance issue

Steve Golden stevenlgolden at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 09:38:04 PDT 2015

I can confirm that UNC paths work ok.  I haven't run any performance tests,
but haven't really thought to run any because it doesn't seem to be a
significant problem for my users (using MGOS 2.5).  Inherently, I think
performance could be better if the data is on the application server, but on
the practical side, if you are using the data for other purposes and needing
to manage/update the data, using a shared network drive is a practical
solution.

There is an old wiki (about 4 years old now) that I posted  Configuring
Aliases <https://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/ConfiguringAliases>
suggesting that you could not configure an alias using a mapped drive.  That
needs to be amended because you can configure an alias using a mapped drive
as long as your application server has access to that mapped drive.  In my
current MGOS setup, I have both UNC and mapped drives configured as aliases.
Hope this helps.

-Steve