[mapguide-users] FDO Postgis provider and schema override

Gabriele Monfardini monfardini at ldpgis.it
Thu Jun 30 10:16:32 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I'm using Mapguide with PostgreSQL 9.5 / Postgis 2.2
We're comparing our current setup (OGRProvider with a recompiled gdal
library) with using Postgis provider.
The problem with our current setup is that when cache is cold it does
basically a query for each attribute in each table in the feature source
and this takes a lot of time except for small databases.

In that regards, PostGIS provider is a lot less dumb, aggregates multiple
request in a single query and only for needed tables.

But we're having troubles in selecting elements from views.
If the view is made from a single table that have a primary key, all works,
the view is seen as selectable because the pk may be used also for the view

If view definition involves some joins, even if it has an attribute that by
construction may be used as a primary key, FDO is not able to recognize it.

I've found an interesting old post about FDO schema override,
http://themapguyde.blogspot.it/2010/08/using-fdo-schema-overrides.html

This is exactly what we need, because in many case it is very difficult to
find an attribute that may be used as pk in a view without making a lot of
queries, but view creator knows which attribute should be used to identify
each row.

The problems I've found are the following:

   - FDO toolbox is unable to dump schema definition in XML. It keep
   finding errors, such as not finding element in collections. Postgresql is
   too new?
   - I was not able to find any XML schema definition file grammar, in
   order to manually construct and validate the XML override file.

Is there an XSD for XML schema definition?

Best regards,

Gabriele Monfardini