[mapguide-users] Future plans/roadmap for MapGuide Open Source

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 06:10:01 PST 2018

Now that both MapGuide and FDO have CMake build systems for building on
Linux, we can offload most of the thirdparty libs to what is provided by the
system. And in this respect, Ubuntu provides the most compatible set of
thirdparty libs we need to build MapGuide and FDO.

As of right now, we can actually build FDO trunk via CMake on Ubuntu 14.04
LTS with 100% system-provided thirdparty libs.

MapGuide via CMake is not fully there. We still need to internally build
dbxml, apache and PHP through existing build scripts and
AGG/DWFToolkit/CS-Map through hand-made CMakeLists.txt integration. But for
everything else, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS provides the right range of compatible
libraries.

I intend to use CMake over autotools as the defacto Linux build system for
MapGuide/FDO in the 3.3 release.

Once the 64-bit Linux blockers (which I've said I'll be detailing in another
post, and I still intend to) are cleared, it would also solve the problem of
what distros to support. We can simply standardize on Ubuntu and for
everything else, just run it inside a docker container based on an Ubuntu
docker image.

- Jackie