[mapguide-users] Moving to MGOS from AIMS

Ricardo Pinho ricardodepinho at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 12:02:43 PST 2018

Sorry Gordon, but I must disagree on that statement!

The *beauty of Free and Open Source is all about it's License*, that
promotes 4 liberties: use, share, modify and distribute!
And the success of of OS depends on the Developers community!

Since Autodesk as adopted LGPL for Mapguide Open Source,
http://mapguide.osgeo.org/about.html
http://mapguide.osgeo.org/lgpl.html

This license compromises it's future and the developers community.

You should read the explanation bellow:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/*why-not-lgpl*.html
<https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html>

*The choice of license makes a big difference: using the Lesser GPL permits
use of the library in proprietary programs; using the ordinary GPL for a
library makes it available only for free programs.*
*Proprietary software developers, seeking to deny the free competition an
important advantage, will try to convince authors not to contribute
libraries to the GPL-covered collection. For example, they may appeal to
the ego, promising “more users for this library” if we let them use the
code in proprietary software products. Popularity is tempting, and it is
easy for a library developer to rationalize the idea that boosting the
popularity of that one library is what the community needs above all. *

* But we should not listen to these temptations, because we can achieve
much more if we stand together. We free software developers should support
one another. By releasing libraries that are limited to free software only,
we can help each other's free software packages outdo the proprietary
counterparts. The whole free software movement will have more popularity,
because free software as a whole will stack up better against the
competition.*

Today there is even a better license for server software, the A-GPL:
*The purpose of the GNU Affero GPL is to prevent a problem that affects
developers of free programs that are often used on servers.*

Read more about it: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-affero-gpl.html

*But suppose the program is mainly useful on servers. When D modifies the
program, he might very likely run it on his own server and never release
copies. Then you would never get a copy of the source code of his version,
so you would never have the chance to include his changes in your version.
You may not like that outcome.Using the GNU Affero GPL avoids that outcome.
If D runs his version on a server that everyone can use, you too can use
it. Assuming he has followed the license requirement to let the server's
users download the source code of his version, you can do so, and then you
can incorporate his changes into your version. (If he hasn't followed it,
you have your lawyer complain to him.)*

Cheers!

> The bright-ness is about who uses it.  The more we use it, the more likely
> it
> becomes a standard.
>
> The success of Open Source is not sales but community participation and
> adoption.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-Users-
> f4182607.html