[mapguide-users] Moving to MGOS from AIMS

Ricardo Pinho ricardodepinho at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 16:19:26 PST 2018

Hi,
> if the licensing is problematic, perhaps we should review it.

Changing Mapguide *OS license from LGPL to GPL or AGPL* could be a good
point to take to the current Project Steering Committee
<http://mapguide.osgeo.org/psc.html> !!!
[Bob Bray (Chair), Bruce Dechant, Tom Fukushima, Haris Kurtagic, Jackie Ng,
Paul Spencer, Zac Spitzer, Trevor Wekel]

But I'm not sure if that is even legally possible, because of the *copyleft
condition* of LGPL 2.1 <http://mapguide.osgeo.org/lgpl.html>
https://choosealicense.com/licenses/lgpl-2.1/

*Primarily used for software libraries, the GNU LGPL requires that derived
works be licensed under the same license, but works that only link to it do
not fall under this restriction*
The new LGPL-3.0, seems to have corrected this, allowing to change LGPL3 to
GPL3
https://choosealicense.com/licenses/lgpl-3.0/
*Permissions of this copyleft license are conditioned on making available
complete source code of licensed works and modifications under the same
license or the GNU GPLv3*.

Good luck!
Cheers.