[mapguide-users] Google Map

RenoSun renolionheart at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 10:00:25 PDT 2018

Hi Jackie,

Here are my practical reasons for keeping Google Maps in Fusion:

1. Google Maps usually provide more comprehensive, better
street/POI/imagery/Street View/3D Mesh in most area including rural,
non-popular cities compared to other map APIs.

2. Many local/global government will submit their latest aerial/satellite
imagery to Google Maps team since they has a platform for the users desire
to submit their high resolution/accuracy imagery. The reason for most
government/non-government organizations submitting their latest imagery is
to benefit their citizens/visitors/tourism etc. I tried to contact Bing Map,
but they don’t even have a built platform for me to submit the new aerial
imagery to them…yet
https://support.google.com/mapcontentpartners/answer/144284

3. For the mapguide users who are willing to pay/potentially will pay for
the Google Maps API

4. Google Maps Street View

5. It seems just a trend to me for the web map/non-map APIs to ask their
user to sign up an account with payment info for using their services. Then,
they may only charge the users who are using over certain amount requests,
or for certain purposes/types of organization etc.
•	Cesium.js https://cesium.com/pricing/
•	Thunderforest https://www.thunderforest.com/pricing/
•	Mapbox https://www.mapbox.com/pricing/

I am hoping that we may keep Google Maps API in Fusion. Also, I am even
hoping mapguide Fusion may allow users to use their paid/free web XYZ tiled
imagery from other map APIs/web tiled services such as Mapbox
(https://www.mapbox.com/), Thunderforest (https://www.thunderforest.com/),
Digital Globe (http://www.digitalglobe.com/platforms/mapsapi), mapguide-rest
xyz tiles from different servers, ESRI ArcGIS tiled map service, and Here
Map Tiled API etc.
  <http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/t368332/Capture.png>