[mapguide-users] Number of Active Sessions

kshippey kshippey at juno.com
Tue Apr 16 00:20:55 PDT 2019

This question has been asked and somewhat answered, but not as thoroughly as
I currently need. I am hoping it can be revisited for the benefit of myself
and others.

I recognize that a simple method to examine the number of sessions is to
view the contents of /Server/Repositories/Session, but I can also see there
is not a direct 1-1 relationship. During testing, I am able to delete files
in that folder without causing said session to trigger a timeout error, and
my selection changes do not affect the file timestamps. From other reading
it is evident that some session data is stored in memory
(http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Some-questions-about-mapguide-sessions-td4210702.html#a4210704)
or in a dbxml file.

I am running into a problem where the Mapguide server fails to create a new
session during usage with 100+ active sessions, even though the upper limit
on SessionRepositoriesLimit does not appear to be reached (I set it at 500).
Available RAM and CPU have plenty of room as well.

I have implemented suggestions from this blog post
https://themapguyde.blogspot.com/2012/06/thoughts-on-mapguide-scalability.html
with some success in the past, but I cannot identify the root cause of the
current problem. Ideally I want the freedom to scale as far as computing
resources can take, but error logs do not yield any helpful information on
improving the Mapguide server stability under the current loads. We are
experiencing MG crashes once or twice a week.

So my question is two-fold:

1.) Is there a method to enumerate the number of active sessions that the
server actually sees? It is performing a sweep to detect session activity
somewhere, but that does not appear to be based on the file timestamps in
/Repositories/Session/. Ideally, a method to display the active session
count is available in the PHP class library.

2.) On the condition that my number of sessions is not the underlying
problem, is there any other insight on scaling Mapguide to accommodate 1,000
or even 10,000 active users on an appropriate server setup? I see
ClientConnections > MaxConnections displays a maximum of 1024 in the
comments, does this represent a hard upper limit for now?

As always, any response is greatly appreciated.