[mapguide-users] Number of Active Sessions

kshippey kshippey at juno.com
Wed Apr 17 14:02:43 PDT 2019

Thanks Benoit, I will look into those tools. We utilize Maestro a great deal
and have built an adjunct resource diagnostics tool as well.

I have narrowed in on a major problem that was hopefully the primary cause
of our server connection faliures.

One of our layers utilizes a WMS feed of externally-hosted raster data. In
my experience, any WMS service is slow and prone to go offline
unpredictably. In this case, the aforementioned WMS server has recently
failed to respond with great frequency.

Whenever an end user was attempting to access that layer, the
TotalActiveConnections would increase, presumably because their request was
not being fulfilled. And even though our SessionRepositoriesLimit was set
high, both our Client> and Site>MaxConnections were still rather low. I
believe that in instances when the WMS was failing, the
TotalActiveConnections was exceeding those serverconfig.ini limits, sand new
connections were refusing.

I removed that WMS layer and also increased our MaxConnections for both
Client and Site to be the maximum listed of 1024. Based on current use, it
looks like around 100 active sessions from our users may utilize around
10-20 active connections at any given point under normal loads. So from this
data alone I might anticipate that MapGuide can accommodate around 5k to 10k
active user sessions before approaching the 1024 MaxConnections limit,
assuming computing resources are sufficient and no other unidentified
bottlenecks arise.

I am hopeful that my changes will provide a more stable server map
experience. If so, then these projected upper limits on user sessions will
provide us sufficient room to grow our usage for the foreseeable future.
Hopefully the 1024 MaxConnections maximum can be increased on future
releases of MapGuide.

One other note, the serverconfig property FDOConnectionTimeoutCustom =
OSGeo.WMS:120 means that each of these failed WMS requests was taking 2
minutes to finally timeout. That is actually a reasonable number, but during
those 2 minutes the TotalActiveConnections were likely increasing as zooms
and pans were continuing to occur without any WMS response.