[mapguide-users] OGR provider - Disappearing features and “Invalid index : -1”

Jonathan Jensen jlj at geograf.dk
Tue Mar 5 06:40:32 PST 2019

Hey, I have recently noticed a strange behavior on one of our MapGuide 3.1.0
setups, where features from some layers would disappear from time to time
when panning or zooming.
I have narrowed it down to only being layers using the OGR provider and it
happens in both MapInfo tab files and in Esri shapefiles.
The error happens when previewing a layer or a feature source, or when doing
a GETMAPIMAGE operation to the mapagent.fcgi
Video of the error on a completely fresh MapGuide 3.1.1 installation:
https://youtu.be/OPU_6WinG3U

I have been able to reproduce the error in MapGuide 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 and on
multiple computers and servers running Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 10
Pro

The error acts like an invalid spatial index, however deleting/rebuilding
the shx files does nothing to correct it. Tab files also have the error with
or without any indexes.
It also happens on newly created layers from both MapInfo and QGIS, and
reference system does not seem to matter as it happens with both EPSG:25832
and EPSG:4326

I have three different test files, along with a text containing ogrinfo
output and output from MapGuide.
Test files along with output can be downloaded here:
https://geograf.com/filer/misc/mapguide_ogr_test.zip

The primary output is from MapGuide running with cpl_debug=on
Previewing the data source causes this:
“ERROR 1: Invalid index : -1”

Selecting features sometimes causes this:
“(10408) An exception occurred in FDO component.
Error occurred in Feature Source
(Session:39c9d69c-3f46-11e9-8000-005056c00001_en_MTI3LjAuMC4x0AFC0AFB0AFA//FeatureSourcePreview86a7364a-cc48-43f9-a004-043296a06f8c.FeatureSource):
Invalid index : -1 (Cause: , Root Cause: Invalid index : -1)”

MapGuide 3.1.1 providers.xml
  <FeatureProvider>
    <Name>OSGeo.OGR.4.1</Name>
    <DisplayName>OGR Provider</DisplayName>
    <Description>FDO Access to OGR Data Sources</Description>
    <IsManaged>False</IsManaged>
    <Version>4.1.0.0</Version>
    <FeatureDataObjectsVersion>4.1.0.0</FeatureDataObjectsVersion>
    <LibraryPath>.\OGRProvider.dll</LibraryPath>
  </FeatureProvider>

I have been unable to find any mentions of this problem, this a known bug
with a workaround or something new?

-Jonathan