[mapguide-users] TLS 1.3 on MapGuide Windows/Apache Build

kshippey kshippey at juno.com
Thu Jan 2 23:29:49 PST 2020

Hello,

It was not clear to me from  this FDO internals post
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/OpenSSL-1-1-1-td5383460.html>   whether
the OpenSSL was in process of being updated to use 1.1.1; however for our
Windows server running MapGuide 3.1 I was tasked with updating our SSL
ciphers to accommodate TLS 1.3 and found that the bundled Apache seems to be
built with OpenSSL 1.0.2q. Please correct me if that is inaccurate.

It further appears that TLS 1.3 is only supported by OpenSSL 1.1 and
greater. As a hacky workaround, I obtained Apache 2.4.41 for Windows 64-bit
from  ApacheLounge <https://www.apachelounge.com/download/>   and
substituted the /bin and /modules folders in the MapGuide/Web/Apache24/
folder to accommodate the use of TLS 1.3. This seems to be functioning so
far; I will update this post if I run into troubles.

I add this to provide information to others on a potential solution if they
want to upgrade to TLS 1.3 before another Windows MapGuide release. Just
make sure to backup your existing /Apache24/ folder in its entirety in case
you hit problems and need to restore the libraries and configuration files.

Thank you,
Kyel