[mapguide-users] Azure PaaS support in the SQL Server FDO provider

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 00:31:43 PST 2020

Hi All,

Thanks to some day-job dogfooding of FDO Toolbox, I was finally able to
tackle a long standing issue of Azure PaaS support in the SQL Server FDO
provider and close this 7 year old FDO ticket
(https://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/ticket/869)

I have uploaded a patched SQL Server provider that includes this support:

https://download.osgeo.org/mapguide/patches/fdo4.2_ticket869/SQLServerSpatialProvider_AzureSupport.7z

Download, extract and overwrite the existing provider for your MGOS 4.0
Preview 2 or FDO Toolbox 1.5.1 installation.

I have so far verified this provider can perform most provider operations
needed for use in a MapGuide context.

The only operation I couldn't verify was whether the CreateDataStore API
worked for this provider in Azure PaaS due to insufficient permissions in
the test account I was given. The CreateDataStore API is not used in the
MapGuide context, so if this API doesn't work properly on Azure PaaS, it is
not a deal breaker for use in MapGuide.

I'd be interested from anyone who tries this patched provider to let me know
if this particular API works on Azure PaaS (ie. You can create a new FDO
data store on Azure PaaS via FDO Toolbox with this patched provider)

- Jackie