area calculation conversion to meters

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Nov 30 17:03:03 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm measuring the area and length of features using
MgGeometricEntity::GetArea() and GetLength() in the Sheboygan data.
This returns values in the units of the projection, which happens to
be decimal degrees.  Not so useful.  I'd like the result to be in
meters.

Since this code needs to be generic, I've implemented some stuff to
transform the geometry into a coordinate system that supports
meters.  This is not too accurate since I arbitrarily picked a World
LCC projection wkt :)

What is the recommended way of doing this calculation?

Cheers

Paul